The WC43 is a telephone repair service truck, used to roll-out and
repair telephone lines connecting headquarters with command posts
in the frontline.
From the scarce information that available is on the web it appears
that some 370 examples were built on the orders of the American
army in 1942 following their entry into the war in December 1941.
A follow-up order was never issued so only these 370 were built
by Dodge who then switched production from that time to building
the more common WC51 with the T214 engine.
In 1943 a new
Telephone Maintenance truck based on the WC51 was produced
with the typenumber WC59. It had a similar bed but had
a softtop in stat of a hardtop. Dodge built at least 549
of these trucks.
Designed and built by the Dodge Division of Chrysler Corporation
in Mound Park Michigan, from 1942-1943.